You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Newbie Poster
Martin1

Cancelling contract

Hi,

I wish to cancel my contract in over 30 days' time.  Unfortunately my flatmate and I are going through upheavals, coupled with rent we can no longer afford, and possible job changes and for both of us we don't know what is around the corner.

We have not fulfilled our 12 month contract yet.  But unfortunately we cannot fulfil the rest of our contract.

How do we go about terminating our contract?  Thanks

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 153
Solutions: 49

Re: Cancelling contract

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately here on the forum we have no influence over contracts or the cancellations process as this has to be handled over the phone for Data Protection reasons. To cancel the account we require 30 days notice. The best way to do this is to call 1901 between 9am and 5pm, Mon- Fri. Make sure you have the eircom account number to hand and they will start the process for you. They can also advise the best way about it to minimise the early cancellation charges.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Martin1

[ Edited ]

Hi James

Thank you for the very quick reply, however I was told that to cancel, I must still continue paying the remainder of the contract as normal.  We simply cannot afford it any more.  I am aware of the 30 days' notice and am looking to cancel in 34 days as our tenancy will end at that date.  Please help.

Please use plain text.
eircomJames

Hi Martin,

The way it works when you cancel the account, even within a contract is that eircom billing stops and you are issued a final bill. This would have the sum of any cancellation fees combined on that bill so there is no continuous payment made on the account, just a set final amount. As I said, we can't influence the cancellation process here so I would advise calling 1901 (today if possible, as you only have 33 days until you leave) and explain the situation. If you explain that you need to cancel for financial reasons they may be able to come to some agreement with regards to payment and the timeframe involved.

Best of luck,

James

Please use plain text.
gbn
Newbie Poster
gbn

HI,

I signed up to a 12 months eircom bundle in August 2011 which expires on 22 August 2012. I do not wish to continue with this bundle. Can you tell me what the procedure is to cancel it? I would have imagined that, this being a matter of a 12 months bundle, that it would, automatically expire in August 2012. Do I have to cancel this 12 month bundle in writing? Or, cancel it verbally as it was, from the outset, a verbal contract.

thanks gbn

Please use plain text.
eircomMark
Topics: 12
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 447

Hi gbn,

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. We require customers to contact our service team on 1800 242 633 or 1901. Who will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department.

eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days after receipt.

I know this process seems a little complicated but this way there should be two records of the customers call to cancel the account as well as the e-mail or letter they subsequently send in. Also the customer may need to be advised of any possible contract cancellation charges.

So should you ever need to enquire about the request we have a few options to track it from the the first call.  

Thanks, Mark

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
gbn
Newbie Poster
gbn

Thanks Mark,

but I really have a problem understanding this:  My eircom bundle contract consisted of a verbal agreement for 12 months. So how could Eircom possibly continue with this bundle without my consent? Surely the twelve month contract should automatically expire in that precise time limit? Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. It's easy to sign up, verbally, for a bundle, but it seems to me, not so easy to cancel, when cancellation itself should not come into the question.

I would appreciate a reply.

Kindest regards

GB

Please use plain text.
eircomJames

Hi gbn,

I understand your point regarding the accounts not ceasing automatically however the contract is listed from our side as a "minimum term" contract. If you see the T&C's here, the contract info is under section 4.2. From an eircom perspective we would have a lot more customers looking to carry on the account than people looking to cancel. Doing it the other way would tend to cause more issues than it prevents as generally customers are not certain when the contract ends. In that case we could end up ceasing the service of someone who is still using it. If a person is working from home or if it's a business account it could cause big problems for both us and those customers. I hope this explains the reasons behind the process for you a bit more but if you need any further info I will of course help you out.

Kind regards

James

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
mankydogg

Can you tell me what date my contract is up?

Please use plain text.
eircomColm
Topics: 9
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 52

Hi mankydogg

You sent me a PM over the weekend in relation to this which I replied to (also in a PM) yesterday. I can confirm this for you, but for Data Protection reasons you will need to provide me with your Eircom Account no by PM first of all before I can do so.

thanks

Colm

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.