You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Occasional Poster
Rambolikes74

speed test

Test dateTue Jun 12 2012 15:41:27 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)Download Speed1.45 Mb/sThis is equal to1453 kbpsUpload Speed0.25 Mb/sThis is equal to251 kbpsLatency195 ms???????

Please use plain text.
eircomMark
Topics: 12
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 447

Re: speed test

Hi,

The speed to the main socket is testing as follows:

3072kbps
160-3072kbs
How many devices were connected when you ran the speed test?
Thanks, Mark

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Rambolikes74

NONE JST MY PC

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Rambolikes74

that sent

that sent 

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 153
Solutions: 49

Hi Rambolikes74,

We've been checking this with tech support and they have given a couple of possibilities as to the exact issue. The most likely cause for this is simply congestion. Your exchange has not yet been enabled for NGB so this means there is a contention ratio of 48:1 attached to the line. This is due to the equipment in the exchange so there are no remote changes we can make to influence that.

The other thing that may help is to call technical support to get a further check done. I will explain what you need here and then if you call them on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7 days) they will carry out this test for you. So, leave the setup with only the modem (with no filter) connected to the main socket. Disable the wireless on the modem and connect only one PC via ethernet. Once you have done this, call support and ask them to do a continuous ping on your IP address. Once that test is running they will get you to try some things over the phone. We can't do it here as it needs to be done 'live' to give proper results. They will be able to tell at that point for certain where the issue lies. Give that a go and let us know how it goes for you.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Rambolikes74

thanks james    ,,i was already onto the support   team yesterday   ,,the guy i got said   that the programs   running in th background were affecting  my connection     i ask my brother in dell   and he said  that  was a load of nonsence  ,,  the  connection at the  mo.  is  ping 75ms  which is ok for gaming  ,, if my ping goes haywire    this evening i will ring  them &  my brother   can  go through the motions   with them  .   my pc is connected   straight to  the  phone socket   with ethernet cable    (not wireless)  all the time  ,   when im gaming   its jst my pc on only  , ..   im also using a trace route    for ping test   as you hav seen  in my other post ,

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 153
Solutions: 49

Hi,

I think that's the best option. If your bro is more comfortable with the technical side of things then it would be ideal to have him speak to support directly. He can then request the ping test I suggested above. Although he may not suspect programs on the computer being the problem I can confirm from experience that occasionally it does happen, especially with malware and viruses. The test above will confirm this either way. See how it goes this evening and if you speak to support post the info here so we can all see how it went.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Rambolikes74

havnt bn online   since   we last chatted    so ive no idea   what  reception  or   ping issue  i hav at d mo ,..Been away  4a few day    will  look into it tonight   and see how it   working out   ,thanks James 

Please use plain text.