You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Newbie Poster
Dverdon
Accepted Solution

modem/router

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

I am currently using the ZyXEL default modem/router and getting very intermittent connectivity with it. An engineer has come out to the house and verified that the connection comming into the house is fine and it could be a problem with the router. Instead of using another ZyXEL (which I have had non stop problems with, and had to restart at least once a day for the past year) I was thinking of purchasing a netgear in its place. The model I am looking at is Netgear Router. My question is will this work as a standalone device without having to connect to any other modem...in other words can I directly connect this device to my phone line without any other device inbetween as it has a modem inbuilt. If i cannot, could you please refer me to a modem which I can use to connect a router to.

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 152
Solutions: 49

Re: modem/router

Hi Dverdon,

Have checked that for you with our technical team and they have suggested that this modem will be fine for your connection. I went online and read some of the reviews and it seems to be a decent piece of equipment. The only negatives I could find was that it tends to struggle occasionally with connections which are not ADSL2+, however in your case the local exchange is providing that type of connection so it should be fine. Obviously we can't fully vouch for third party equipment but the indicators on this one are good. If you decide to go ahead you will need to enter the eircom settings on that modem, see link for help with this: Setting up Third Party Modems

You also shouldn't need to purchase any further equipment as this looks to be a modem/router in one unit. Just out of curiosity I have also tested the line to ensure that the connection is ok and it seems to be fine. One thing to be aware of is that our technical team can only troubleshoot eircom modems so if the problem persists after your purchase we may need you to connect back to the eircom modem temporarily. Other than that, you should be fine.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Dverdon

Excellent stuff! Thanks for the info..Just bought it off amazon, hopefully it proves to be quick and reliable!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
xocal

Sorry to intrude, but I have had similar experiences over last 6 months, and have just taken delivery of my 4th replacement zyxel router. However, rather than use this and waste more time, I have the option to use a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with router Model#F5D7632-4 which I purchased recently, and I also have a Netopia 2247NWG WITH TWIN AERIALS! Which of these in your opinion would be best!!
xocal
Please use plain text.
eircomMark
Topics: 12
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 447

Hi xocal,

I am going to look into the complete history with broadband support and get back to you regarding this issue next week.

Thanks, Mark

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
eircomMark

Hi xocal,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, the modem we advise for an NGB package is the Zyxel. However I appreciate you have had numerous replacements.

Broadband support have been monitoring your connection and see the disconnects have improved over the last week.

Can you confirm that from your end?

Thanks, Mark

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
shez33

hi i also have issues with mine but mine is that the wifi signal doesnt appear to be strong enough. ps3 says its only 60% signal.

I watch a far bit on sky go and am getting constant refreshing/buffering even in you tube and thought it may be the reception in the house but its the same donw stairs, i tried to watch a match tuesday and 8 or 9 times it had to buffer and this time i was 8 feet from the router. I have NGB and this is a bit **bleep**e. Any ideas.

I have heard numerous complaints about these cheap zyxel routers and am looking to get my own which would have a more powerful wifi range and signal and also be good for gaming. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also seperately, how do i find out when my contract is up as i would like to change my plan.

Thanks.

Liam

Please use plain text.
eircomMark

Hi shez33,

The broadband signal is steady at between 6-8MB to the main socket.

How Many devices would generally be connected at the one time?

Thanks, Mark

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
shez33

only 1 at a time, either my laptop is using the wifi or the ps3 but rarely at the same time.

My ps3 is in the room above where the modem is hooked up and its a timber fram house and thus shouldnt be losing that amount, espcecially when its on showing 60% on ps3

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 152
Solutions: 49

Hi shez33,

The fact that the sync is showing a decent speed on our end and the issue happens only with Wifi gives us another option to try. Sometime changing the channel that the Wifi signal is transmitted on can increase the range slightly by removing outside interference. I will detail the steps on how to do this below, have greyed out the irrelevant part:

Changing Wireless Channels on eircom Modem

Changing the wireless channel on your modem may improve wireless signal strength.

If you are using eircom's router /modems :  Netopia (3347, 2247) or the Zyxel P660- series, please follow steps below ..

1) Ensure you connect your Ethernet cable from your computer to the modem.

2) Open up your Internet Browser and clear the web address in the Address bar.

3) Enter the following IP Address into the Address Bar: 192.168.1.254

4) Press Return or Click on Goto on your Internet browser.

* If asked for a password to access the router /modem (Zyxel), simply type : broadband1

5a) You should see a Menu List on the left hand side.

If using the Netopia router, Select 'Wireless'  /or '3D Wireless'

Now select 'Advanced Configuration Options'

On the Advanced Config Page go to 'Default Channel'

Select any channel between 1 - 13  (for e.g : Channel 11)

Click on the drop down menu just above this and change :  'AT STARTUP' to ** 'OFF USE DEFAULT'

(** this will ensure when your modem restarts it will start up on the new wireless channel).

Scroll down to the button of the webpage and Click on 'Save' and 'Restart the Modem'

The new wireless channel has now been saved

If using the eircom Zyxel router, Select 'Network' '

Now select 'Wireless LAN'

Under the AP tab , Go to Wireless Channels

Select : Channel Selection and choose a different wireless channel

Click on Apply

The new wireless channel has now been saved

Once you have tried a few channels from each end of the scale (they range from 1 - 13) then you should have eliminated any wireless interference. I recommend trying at least 4 channels and leave a gap between them. For example, try channels 1,5,9,13. This will ensure you have covered the whole range of frequencies.

Can you try this and let us know if it improves the signal.

Cheers

James

Please use plain text.