You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Contributor
crysis
Accepted Solution

ZYXEL MODEM PROBLEMS

Hi i have been having problems with my zyxel modem, im on my second one and it keeps droping speed fast on 24mb, im now usin my friends asus modem and it works great, is there a problem  with my modem? 

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony
Topics: 14
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 181

Re: ZYXEL MODEM PROBLEMS

[ Edited ]

Hi crysis

Thanks for your post.

It would appear as though the fault is with your ZyXEL modem from what you say.

Though it would be best to just check that both your broadband sync and connection (over our servers) are maintained, before this is certain.

Test using only one computer device and connect this over an Ethernet cable. Plug your modem directly on the master socket (mdp) to ensure it is not just a faulty Adsl Splitter.

Monitor your connection over a couple of days.  If you need to check this at any point, simply call into Technical Support day or evening. They can quickly check how you're syncing and how you're connecting over the Authentication servers.

If your ZyXEL modem is not functioning as well as your 3rd party modem, then the modem may need reset before finally confirming whether this is the source of your issue.

So one other suggestion might be to hard reset the ZyXEL modem -

If you have changed any of your standard setings (wireles key, channel, Nat, ports), please save these first before you try a hard reset on the ZyXEL modem.

To Reset your modem.

Reset the modem:

• Keep the power on the modem
  • Locate the reset hole (usually on the back of the modem, beside the power on /off switch)
  • Push a pin /or paperclip, into the reset hole and hold this for around 7 to 10 seconds
  • Release the pin from the pin hole
  • Wait for a few minutes for the lights on the modem to go steady.

In the case of the newer Zyxel router all the lights may flash or momentarily go out /or power light may turn red.  Simlarly, the lights on the Netopia modem may flash for a few minutes. 

Lights on the modem:

• Power : Green - Solid
  • LAN /Ethernet : Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem
  • Wireless /Wifi - Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem
  • DSL - Green - Solid
  • Internet - Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem

Let me know if I can help you further.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up. Also, let me know your case id and I can follow this up with the Support Team.

Kind regards,
Anthony

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Contributor
crysis

Hi anthony i already done all of that with tech support and they said my line was good, so i reset the modem and was alright for about an hour and then started to drop speed again, I like the new forum:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
TommieKelly

Hey Crysis,

We were talking about this over on boards.ie

My issue was solved by getting my own modem, but if you aren't in the mood to spend extra money or don't mind waiting, perhaps  you could request another Zyxel?

The fact that your other modem works perfectly with your setup has to suggest that its not a fault with your setup but with the mode I would reckon.

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony

[ Edited ]

Hi crysis,

Thanks, I agree it does sound like the modem is the most likely cause of this issue (speed deteriorating).

If your modem is out of warrantee there is an option to purchase a new modem from Broadband Sales - WiFi Modem - at a reduced cost (approx' 50%). Technical Support will be able to check if you are still able to avail of a replacement modem or organise a reduced cost replacement modem.  As previous post,  you can also use your own private modem or use a more advanced Adsl router.  You don't have to purchase a 'top of the range' modem either, and can shop around for a bargin router (or a modem online).  When choosing your own modem, make sure it is Adsl compatible - up to Adsl 2+. Ask the manufacturer or vendor in this case.

Make sure you use the eircom PPPoE login settings (please see below).  In order to make basic changes to a non-eircom modem you will need to know how to access the router gateway.. This is normally web interfaced.  Generally, just open your Internet web browser, type in the correct IP address for the Gateway then manually change the PPPoE settings to that of your ISP (eircom).

A simple example of accessing a modem or the router web interface is shown on our Support website :

www.eircom.net/tutorials - Find the Wireless Security Key

My advice is just look around online. Weigh up the most suitable option and modem that suits you.  Some routers offer a lot of advanced secuity features, some offer complicated port forwarding setups, and some offer game priority servers (i.e: the router knows when you're playing a game and hence will improve your ping times, etc.). Youtube is also a great resource for finding out about modems and will demonstate the way the modem works.

eircom Basic Modem Configuration /Setup

Username: eircom@eircom.net
Password: broadband1
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Multiplexing: LLC Based
VPI: 8
VCI: 35

Setting up Third Party Modems

Thanks for comments on the New Forum. Glad you like it.

Best wishes

Anthony

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Contributor
crysis

Thanx for the reply ant my modem is still under warrantee how do i request a new one?

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony

Hi crysis,

Thanks for post. I'll look after this for you. Can you PM me with a mobile contact number and just confirm your eircom Account or phone number.

Many thanks,

Ant

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
rong1mod

Hi I'm having a nightmare since I changed from Netopia to Zyxel router as an upgrade plus recently upgraded to Velocity.The router spends more time notifying us we have no internet access or no quicker than the old router and broadband package.Sreriously think this router is crap.

I have ran an internet speed test and the results are, remember that I'm supposed to be getting upto 24mb speeds.

Download speed 4.17 Mb/s

Upload speed 0.63 Mb/s

Can anyone advise or assist

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 152
Solutions: 49

Hi rong1mod,

I have run few tests on this today and can confirm a few things for you. Firstly, the actual line test came back ok. There are no faults indicated on that. I have also tested the broadband signal and this is indicating some issue with the signal. Before we look at sending an engineer we need to ensure that no outside factors are causing the issue. Can you please look through this checklist to eliminate the most common issues with the line.

We have also logged in remotely to the modem and upgraded the firmware to the latest version. This should again improve the service. The firmware may fix the issues on it's own but try the checklist anyway, no harm in ruling out some common causes of slow speed. Monitor the connection over the long weekend and get back to us on Tuesday if there are no improvements.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.