You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Newbie Poster
carneyjack

RED Internet Light on Zyxel Modem

Hello,

I am posting this message on behalf on my father, John Hayes.

He got Eircom Broadband around two months ago and it has now stopped working.

Previous to this, it would slow down to maybe 0.15 Mbps. Turning the modem off (Zyxel P-660) and on would fix this and would bring the download speed back up to 2Mbps or so.

This issue would arise maybe three times a week.

Broadband stopped completely on Friday 4th of May. The DSL light was green but the Internet Light was red.

He tried connecting the Modem directly to the phone line, bypassing the splitter but the issue remained.

My father, who is elderly, rang Broadband Support to report this on the 4th of May, and was told that it was a line issue. We became aware that there was a general eircom issue in the area. But on Moday 7th May, service had not resumed and resetting the Modem did no good and the Internet light sayed red. The DSL light stayed green.

So my father rang Eircom Broadband support again on Monday 7th May and was asked once more to reset his modem. This did not fix the problem.

Naturally, my father is totally frustrated this morning as his Broadband is still not working. So I rang Broadband support on his behalf. I was speaking to William Crabtree, who listened to the issue, and recommended during a firmware upgrade on the Modem to fix the occasional slow speed issues. William also mentioned that he thought that the issue was exchange related due to authentication etc. The case number as obtained from William is 4600253.

Obviously, this issue is dragging on and my father really misses his Internet.

Can we get an update on this issue?

Regards

Dr Martin Hayes

Please use plain text.
eircomJames
Topics: 25
Kudos: 152
Solutions: 49

Re: RED Internet Light on Zyxel Modem

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the detailed post, it really helps us narrow down the problem and saves us both having to cover old ground. Anyway, here's what I could gather from testing: The DSL (broadband) signal looks good from this side. The stats for noise margin and attenuation are within the normal bounds of what is acceptable. The fact that you have tried the modem directly to the main socket also eliminates the most common problem which is faulty equipment.

On further testing from this point, it seems the issue lies outside the property somewhere along the actual phoneline. Since your conversation with William, he has arranged for a technical visit to check this in more detail. The reference number for the logged fault is 11288228. This was assigned to a crew this morning so is looking good for tomorrow, the reference number will allow you to chase this over the phone but we'll be happy to chase it here if you prefer this method of contact.

I can only apologise that the problem was not picked up sooner but as you can imagine, the agents have to follow correct troubleshooting processes before being allowed to send a technician. Once the service is back in business, leave a note here to inform us and we'll refund any charges for the time the broadband was inactive.

Thanks and regards

James

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
carneyjack

Hi James,

Many thanks for getting bak to me. Will contact you with an update after the engineer's visit.

Regards

Martin

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
carneyjack

Hi James,

Just a quick message to say that the broadband issue on my father's service has been resolved. An eircom engineer sorted it out today. It was a line issue.

You mentioned that there would be some credit applied to my fathers account. His broadband was off from the 4th of May to the 14th of May.

Regards

Martin

Please use plain text.
eircomJames

Hi Martin,

Glad the issue is resolved. I still advise monitoring over the next couple of weeks for any problems. Come back to us here if you notice anything and we'll have another look. Fingers crossed that it's sorted now though. I will of course credit the time he was without service. This will show on the next bill and the amount will be under the heading "Miscellaneous Credit" and will be ex-VAT. The next bill is due to issue in the next couple of days but I'll do my best to get the credit on that one to bottom it out once and for all.

Regards

James

Please use plain text.
eircomJames

Hi again Martin,

Just to follow up on this for you. The credit is issued on the account however upon checking the current bill it did not hit the system in time. The credit is for 11 days service. The package charge on the account is normally €19.68 with VAT (shows as €16 ex VAT on bills). The credit I have issued is for € 9.31 and will show ex VAT on the next bill (€7.57). I had also noticed when processing this credit that your father in law had a corded phone rented from eircom. Normally the charges would continue but since he's had the phone so long I removed that for him. This will save him another €2 per month, better off in his pocket than ours!

Thanks

James

Please use plain text.