You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
Newbie Poster
Nedd

PS3 Media Server with Zyxel router

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a upnp media server on my laptop to communicate with my Ps3 but I cant get it to work. 

I have installed a upnp media server on my laptop and I have enabled the upnp settings on the router (i think this was enabled by default) but when I search for media Server on my PS3 it doesn't connect.

Do I have to change anything else on my router to allow communications between my laptop and my PS3?

Thanks,

Nedd

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony
Topics: 14
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 181

re: PS3 Media Server with Zyxel router

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a upnp media server on my laptop to communicate with my Ps3 but I cant get it to work. 

I have installed a upnp media server on my laptop and I have enabled the upnp settings on the router (i think this was enabled by default) but when I search for media Server on my PS3 it doesn't connect.

Do I have to change anything else on my router to allow communications between my laptop and my PS3?

Thanks,

Nedd

Hi Nedd,

Thanks for your query.

eircom Technical Support have advised that UPNP is enabled by default on your Zyxel router.  They've advised that you will need to contact Playstation Support for configuration settins on your media server. 

PlayStation Support 0818 365 065 (local) www.ie.playstation.com/help-support

I found the following website online which may also be helpful - http://bit.ly/iDSWnh

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1645365-nat_type_changes_back_ps3

(If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar.)

eircom Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards,
Ant

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Nedd

Hi,

Thanks for you reply, i tried what was mentioed in the post you directed me to i.e. setting the router to "Bridge" mode instead of "Route" mode and this caused my internet to stop working.

I assume there is no way to have the router set to Bridge and also have the internet working.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony

Hi,

Thanks for you reply, i tried what was mentioed in the post you directed me to i.e. setting the router to "Bridge" mode instead of "Route" mode and this caused my internet to stop working.

I assume there is no way to have the router set to Bridge and also have the internet working.

Thanks.

Hi Nedd,

Thanks again.

Just to advise, Bridging mode on the router won't work, unless you have another router setup to route Internet traffic.

I've been advised that the protocol used by the media server may not handle DNLA traffic on the Zyxel router. 

I'm going to send you a possible fix to your registered gmail.com email address, if that's ok.

This is the same fix used for 'Apple' tv, and may help in this instance.

If you can let me know if this works, I'd be grateful.

All the best,

Antony

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Nedd

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your help on this, I applied the config file you sent me, restarted the router and still no joy. 

Nedd

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your help on this, I applied the config file you sent me, restarted the router and still no joy. 

Nedd

Hi Nedd,

Thanks again.

If the configuration file didn't resolve this for you, then you should contact Playstation Networks again; Or perhaps even ask, on their forum, if someone has a simlar problem.

I will check again with eicom Technical Support.  Though they have advised that you will need to check with the media server vendor (Sony).

If I have receive any further help on this, I will post this here.

All the best,

Antony

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Contributor
irish-sid

Nedd, I've just got this set up so maybe I can help you. Just a few questions first...

1) What's your windows version?

2) Is your laptop wired / wireless?

3) Is your Ps3 wired / wirelss?

4) Do you have the latest Ps3Media server?  -  http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Please use plain text.
Contributor
irish-sid

Nedd, I've just got this set up so maybe I can help you. Just a few questions first...

1) What's your windows version?

2) Is your laptop wired / wireless?

3) Is your Ps3 wired / wirelss?

4) Do you have the latest Ps3Media server?  -  http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Sorry, jsut a quick little test before we start looking at your settings,

*Make sure media server is enabled in you Ps3 settings

*Start the Ps3 Media Server on your laptop

*Give it 10 seconds then disable the Media Server in your Ps3 settings

*After a few seconds re-enable it and go see if the icon appears under the Video section on your Ps3.

If this doesn't work then please reply with the answers to my above questions.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony

Thanks for advice and help here irish-sid.

Hopefully Nedd, you'll be able to try the same setup.

All the best,

Antony

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.