You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
erdin

Email hacking

Hey sorry if i am posting in the wrong area i am not an eircom customer. I have had my emails hacked into and I only realised when i changed my pasword on saturday (routine) and i was notified today that someone tried to retrieve my password. When i checked the recent activity on my account and the IP addresses i realised that someone that lives no where near me has logged into my account using an eircom IP address, i traced the address. Is it possible for Eircom to provide me with details of the owner of this IP address and whether it is secure or not. I have had issues with someone constantly ringing me in the past so as a girl im quite concerned that someone could have the opportunity to log into my emails for the last two years. Any help apprecieted. 

Please use plain text.
eircomAnthony
Topics: 14
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 181

re: Email hacking

Hey sorry if i am posting in the wrong area i am not an eircom customer. I have had my emails hacked into and I only realised when i changed my pasword on saturday (routine) and i was notified today that someone tried to retrieve my password. When i checked the recent activity on my account and the IP addresses i realised that someone that lives no where near me has logged into my account using an eircom IP address, i traced the address. Is it possible for Eircom to provide me with details of the owner of this IP address and whether it is secure or not. I have had issues with someone constantly ringing me in the past so as a girl im quite concerned that someone could have the opportunity to log into my emails for the last two years. Any help apprecieted. 

Hi erdin,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

From what you say you should first and foremost contact your email provider.  As this is a non-eircom email, there is very little that eircom Technical Support can do to assist you on this.

As regards tracing to any IP address, it would probably serve little purpose. If someone is accessing your email address, they will need your username and password.  The onus is therefore on the owner to secure their email.  It is also imperative that you secure your computer applications and hardware. There are plenty of private manufacturers and vendors out their willing to offer anti-spam, anti-viurs and  anti-spyware software. 

As regards Internet provders in general, most ISP's provide dynamic IP addresses.  It may also be possible to 'mask'  or 'alias' an IP address.  The IP address may also belong to public gateway, Internet cafe, library, etc.

Best advice, as you have already done, would be to change your password with your email provider (preferably with their Technical Support department) and to do this right away.

This is the best method of securing your email account against any one trying to access your email.

Your email provider's Technical Support may also have an abuse mail department who should be able to report this to or seek further advice.

Best regards,

Antony

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.