You are here: eircom.net homepage » social » forums
eircomAnthony
Topics: 14
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 181

BROADBAND: SLOW SPEED/INTERMITTENT CONNECTION CHECKLIST

[ Edited ]

To help you check your broadband speed /or if you're having an intermittent broadband connection issue, please take a look at our Broadband Checklist (below) :

Before testing your Broadband Speed, it is important to locate the Main Phone Point (*MDP) in your house**.

Dropped connections

If you can only connect to the internet while you are on the phone, or your connection drops when you pick up your phone, you may have:

* Incorrectly connected the single-port filter to the black phone cable (the single port filter cannot be used to connect the modem). Unplug the single-port filter from the black phone cable
      or
    * Connected the black phone cable to the wrong side of the splitter. The modem has to be connected to the grey and the phone to the black side of the splitter
      or
    * Been supplied a faulty splitter, in which case you can request a replacement from our Technical Support Department : (*Technical Support: 1890260260 -8:am-10pm (7 days)).

6 POINT CHECKLIST - WHICH WILL HELP YOU TEST YOUR BROADBAND CONNECTION

=============================================================================

* 1.  CHECK WHAT LIGHTS ARE ON THE MODEM /ROUTER  -  Power -Green Light?

* 2   RESTART THE MODEM - Turn the modem off and on again ..   ..    ..    ….

* 3   REMOVE THE ADSL SPLITTER FROM THE PHONE SOCKET; remove the adsl adaptor

* 4   USE ONLY THE DSL CABLE (RJ11) CONNECTED TO THE MODEM /ROUTER; This cable is normally coloured purple, black or sometimes grey.

* 5   DISCONNECT ANY LONG EXTENSION PHONECABLE – Private phoneleads

* 6  TEMPORARILY DISCONNECT ANY THIRD PARTY EQUIPMENT - Remove Sky (box/s), Fax from the Intenal wiring /phoneline.

Once you have completed these checks :

TEST THE MODEM (/Router) DIRECTLY ON THE MAIN PHONE SOCKET (MDP)

**The MDP (Master phone Socket) is usually found just inside the hallway, or front of your house (First point of entry for the phoneline to the house /premises).

(mdp.JPG) -

WHAT LIGHTS ARE SHOWING ON THE  Modem /Router?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Remember : Wifi and Internet will sometimes flash on and off)

LIGHTS :  Power green, Wifi flashing, DSL green (solid), Internet light GREEN - This is Good

LIGHTS :  Power green, Wifi flashing, DSL green (solid), Internet light RED -  Possible authentication issue

LIGHTS :  Power green, Wifi flashing, DSL green (FLASHING ), Internet light OFF –  Possible sync issue

IF YOU STILL FEEL YOU ARE GETTING SLOW SPEEDS AFTER TESTING AS ABOVE, TRY THE FOLLOWING QUICK CHECKS:

REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS ADVISE OUR TECHNICAL SUPPORT DEPARTMENT.-

(You will be asked -  WHAT LIGHTS ARE ON YOUR MODEM /ROUTER*)

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (locall) (Opening hours : 8am - 10pm - 7days)

When testing your broadband speed try to ensure that you are not downloading /or uploading files  (e.g : ensure you are not using application programmes like Skype, anti-virus, firewall(s), etc).

Use just one computer (PC or laptop) connected at a time when testing your broadband speed.

TEST YOUR BROADBAND SPEED ON Eircom's SPEEDTEST WEBSITE :  www.eircom.net/speedtest

Check what your broadband download speed is ?  

(for e.g : 2.5 MB (or 250KB) is the average speed on a 3MB connection) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some further advice when testing your Broadband Speed.....

Are you downloading files while running /testing your Broadband speed? If so, this will dramatically reduce speedtest results.

·         In many cases where you experience poor results from a speedtest, this can often be attributed to other activity on your PC or another PC/device in the house. In many of these instances there is peer-to-peer (Torrent, Limewire etc) activity downloading/uploading files to/from your PC. This kind of activity can adversely impact your Broadband speed. If you are running a speedtest please ensure that none of the devices connected to your router are downloading/uploading files

·         Speedtests can be run on the following link: www.eircom.net/speedtest

Are there other devices using your modem or working off the WiFi connection while running a speedtest? If so, this can dramatically reduce speedtest results.

·         In many cases, if there are other users browsing, streaming etc from another device on your Broadband connection. This will reduce the results from a Speedtest.

·         Your connection should be free of all other users when attempting a speedtest for accurate results.

• *Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

Troubleshoot slow connections

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved..

Powercycle the modem:

• Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    • Wait 30 seconds
    • Switch the modem back On
    • Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect
  • Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

master-mdp.JPG

Are you connecting wirelessly?

• If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related issues which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

• These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

• Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.

Troubleshoot  - slow connections - Slow or Dropped Connections

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.

*Note: Not all of the above steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

If you still have issues with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please see contact information below :

Broadband / Technical Support - 1890 260260 (locall) (Opening hours : 8am - 10pm - 7 days).

If you would like to look over more Troubleshooting Support / Forums please visit  -  

Common questions answered here!

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Mazhand

Re: BROADBAND: SLOW SPEED/INTERMITTENT CONNECTION CHECKLIST

Where can I find out how long left on my contract?
Please use plain text.
eircomTracey
Topics: 3
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 37

Hi,

I have checked this for you and the contract end date is the 4/04/'14 for the phone line and the broadband has no contract left on it.

Thanks

Tracey

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Peaches1

Got my broadband on Monday and it was working perfectly until Wednesday evening now every evening it keeps dropping I'm trying to download things and it is taking so long to do it. I also have another question I signed up for unlimited broadband and when I log in it tells me I have up to 30 why?
Please use plain text.
eircomTracey
Topics: 3
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 37

Hi Peaches1,

I have conducted several tests on the line/service and there is a fault on the line, this is more than likely causing you the issues with your service. To get the issue resolved you will need to report it to our faults team on 1901 (option 3 and 1) They'll log it and organise for a technician to call to you and hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks

Tracey

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Singtillidrop

Dear Eircom,

Over the last number of weeks my broadband keeps cutting out every few minutes. I have had 3 technicians out to my house and all say my line is fine. I am being given no other details as to what it is other than "your line is fine". I have been on to tech support what feels like everyday to get it sorted and I get told the same thing. Technicians have put in new wires, new connections and I was told the phone wires in my estate are over 50 years old. When I rang again and explained this to the tech support they stated the technician never put that on his report. I was told on another occasion it might be the modem but I had to agree with stay another 12 months to get a new modem which in the end wasnt the problem. Every time the phone rings the connection goes. Every time someone hangs up the phone the connection goes. The worst is at night time. No one will be on the phone and it seems like every 10 minutes the connection will go. I have run diagnostic tests myself and it keeps telling me:

DSL - pass
ATM - fail
PPP - pass
IP - pass
Pinging www.eircom.net - fail

I have been given every excuse in the book and have been told the problem is resolved yet less than 24 hours later the problem will be worse than ever. 

My family have been with Eircom for years but at the end of the day we are paying for a service that we are not being provided and it is increasingly frustrating to basically be told that you dont know what the problem is.

Any assisstance you could be to resolve the issue would be very much appreciated!

Please use plain text.
eircomAlan
Topics: 9
Kudos: 382
Solutions: 132

Hi Singtillidrop

I have replied to the thread you have created on this issue:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Broadband-CONSTANTLY-cutting-out/m-p/70561

Thanks

Al

Click here to PM me
Please use plain text.